Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Sitting on the fence

Yes, I did read the Totally Academic Blog referred to in the instructions. I have all the fears of making a public ass of myself. I fear for my reputation and that of the fine institution for which I work.

I did go to the Drop-in Help Session. Yes, it was excellent. No, I did not feel super-confident about blogging afterwards. I sat on the fence for so long that you can see the pattern of the larch-lap woven panels printed on my butt.

But I have written something. I hide behind an alias, so I can disown this persona, and launch myself, as myself, once I have learnt the tools of this trade. This is my apprenticeship in the new media.

In this section I learnt:
  • why screenshots dumped into Word don't upload into Html
  • about Photoscape (that was very resistant to my efforts)
  • about Jpegs
  • about problems with formatting text and images
I don't suppose that sounds like much to you, but it took hours.
And thanks to all my pals who helped.

Next, thing will be: to go public with this. Hey, it was a nice career, while it lasted... so long!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a heck of a lot to me, even without coping with dodgy iGoogle stuff :) The most difficult part of the screenshot process for lots of people seems to have been saving the screenshot as an image (jpg/gif/png).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your unique approach to the "Is my iGoogle page boring?" problem, but you might want to revisit that one in the light of Andy's comments.
    Still, glad to have you blogging with us. As you'll see from the other librarians' blogs we have a very broad constituency and none of us is expert in everything. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attracted by the title, we just had to investigate, and this was made even more fun by the Nanny State intervention 'This blog contains adult material - do you wish to proceed?' HECK yes, what can it be? The Naked Librarian? Took us a while to work it out. 'Ass' and 'butt'. Tee hee, you naughty thing. How AWFUL. Keep it up [so to speak]. New Cam23 game - see if we can get that pop-up by using actually-innocent words?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry we didn't hear any more from you, Mr or Ms Olde Blogge. Hope you weren't feeling too discouraged ...

    ReplyDelete