Monday, 7 June 2010

One small step...

Ye Olde Blogge.

Old man tackles 23 things without a safety-net. Let me serve as a warning beacon to those who would embark on this voyage to technical competence. Seeing the error of my ways, I hope that you can avoid similar grief, or at least avoid the surprise when it engulfs you.


Thing One.
Register for a Google account.
It sounded simple until I got into a loop whereby the account needed validation by having a code sent to my mobile telephone. But I do not have one. The Help-pages were not so helpful, they did not actually say you could not have an account without this mobile phone verification, but that is what they meant. I used the number of a pal’s phone, the code was received and entered in the system and the account established.

Learning point for the young. Old dodgers may not have all the techno-stuff that you take for granted. Not just the phones but some of us have no sound cards or speakers in our PCs. Try the videos without sound...

1 comment:

  1. Hello Roy,

    Oh dear, am guilty of having posted two videos on my blog so if you've seen it then you might have felt the frustration from sound lacking in your system set up. The lack of sound in your system set up does highlight the problem of many systems in libraries without sound, yet increasingly video content is being used and promoted, by educators as well as librarians, as a learning tool; more and more our users expect such 'techno-stuff'.
    I can't tell you how many times I went on the mobile phone merry-go-round with google. How increasingly irked I became when google's help suggestion to 'I don't have a mobile' was: "borrow a friends".
    Lastly Roy, I want to say thank you for making me laugh out loud (3 times at least) when I read your adventures. Please do keep it up ...
    P.S. I'd forgotten the all singing all dancing PornO'Matic that used to appear in emails

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete